Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Touching the Untouchables

Today I ad the privilege of going to one of the Leprosy Colonies and treating the patients. It was a long bus ride but that is ok because I got to know Dr. Kumar and the girls in my group, " the cobras," better. It was so cool getting to know Dr. Kumar and hearing his story of how he got involved in the medical field after his grandfather died and then how he got involved with RSO. He is great. So when we finally got there I saw some the the worst living conditions I have ever seen and the people were suffering physically and emotionally from the diseas the the stigma going along with that disease. The stigma that these people are bad, cursed by God and untouchable is so present when you see how they are outcasted and hearing thier stories. It just breaks my heart. But like the thought given at dinner " how could a loving creator let these people suffer and not do anything. Well he has done something he created you" I loved that thought that we can be the blessings God gives to others.
Almost the whole first half of out time there I was on the verge of tears and biting my lip to hold back the tears. At first I was hesitant but a cute women came and grabbed my hand and then one of the old men said that many had died in their colony but they were not giving up. They have so much drive and are so incredible. Many of them have learned to live with deformities since they were 15 and have struggled and it is incredible to see them. We tested blood pressure and glucose but wrapped thier ulcers and stuff. My favorite part though by far was washing the feet. I washed the man's feet in the picture below. It was so humbling to go from keeping a distance to getting below them to wash thier feet. I scrubbed the sores that looked like tree knots and were just as hard. I rubbed and washed with only my hands no scrubber both is deformed feet that had gone through so much and in doing so I remined myself that we are all equal children of God. It made me think of when people washed Christs feet and showed him respect by doing so. I was showing that man that the stigma didn't matter to me. I let him know that he is special and has worth and I touched the untouchable. It was a great day today and got even better as I played with the children and the girls kissed my cheeks and braided my hair and told me stories after I told them stories. It was a great day.
(Disclaimer: it was brought to my attention that I have alot of typos and just as a disclaimer for that; I do most of my blogging at night right before bed and I am exhausted so sorry for the typos. I hope the message still gets through) Good Night :)



No comments:

Post a Comment