Thursday, July 22, 2010

The slums of Andrapredesh

Today was an amazing and crazy day. It seemed like we ran into every problem and delay again but as we always say TII( this is India). Eventually we made it to the colony though. This one was in the slums and so it's inhabitants weren't just leprosy afflicted but also the very poor. We ended up setting up in a small assembly room. It was stuffy with over a 100 people in about the size of a normal classroom or smaller but we have been blessed and it has been kinda rainy lately and cooler so that helped with the stuffiness. Also when we got there I said a little prayer and it was totally answered. I was able to help treat over 100 people and although I saw bigger ulcers and more rotting flesh than I have ever seen, I was fine. I didn't mind the smell or the sight which others were having troubles with. The hardest part was to while washing and bandaging watching the people as they were in pain. There are two men that stick out to me and they were sitting next to eachother which made the situation even harder. One of the guys had crawled in cause the ulcers on both his feet were so bad and he just just shaking. I helped take off his bandage and such but eventually I just held his leg up and rubbed his arm trying to comfort him without passing cultural boundaries. That was hard cause his ulcers were really bad and the flesh was so infected. Then next to him was another man with a really bad ulcers on one of his feet. Probably by far the worst I have seen. The tears streamed down his face as he motioned to us that he wanted his leg cut off cause it hurt him so much. I didn't want us to put the medication or bandage but we had to just rewrap it. We had about 6 people working on those two alone and after that we were told to take a break cause it was hard. We stood in the rain outside collecting ourselves and then we went right back in their.
I saw hard things today and there were so many people pushing to be the next one treated since medical treatment is rare and we couldn't communicate to them well and it was just crazy. But we treated over 100 people in that colony and left happily fatugued. I loved serving those people and seeing thier strength and will power. I feel so blessed to be able to serve them and interact with them.
After that we left for a 6 hour bus ride home with even more delays and problems but luckily we could do some bribing. I think God is trying to teach me patience and let me tell you it is working; traveling in India is doing the trick. ;) I am learning so much and just love it here. Oh and I will post pictures of these last couple amazing days later but many of the pictures I want are on other peoples cameras. Sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment