Thursday, July 15, 2010

Best Day Yet! - Megan

So the pictures on the other best day yet post go with this post but they were placed wierd and I don't know how to move them so sorry that yesterday is between today and today's pictures but hopefully you can put two and two together.
Right now I am on break and so this amazing day has not ended yet but I thought that I would get a head start on blogging so I can get some sleep tonight. I think tonight is movie night so heaven knows I won’t have enough time. Today we went to one of the more developed colonies which look like a regular village. This is because of microloans. They have peopled with all sorts of jobs even a barber. The community has also been saving their money and built an old folks home and an art school to help more people with incomes and are now working on a community center. This is so important because people form leprosy colonies are not allowed in community centers of temples which is where the marriage. Take place. So this will serve many functions one of which is a place for these amazing people to marry.
We helped them move sand cement. This was done in large bowls and was hard work, but my amazing group was so happy to be helping. Oh by the way they have the coolest shovels ever and carrying things on your head really is easier. Ok so back to this, I was so inspired as I sweated buckets under the hot Indian sun and watched these incredibly able people work with us. They were so kind and although I could not speak to them the love, respect, and appreciation was there. They were proving the stigma wrong. And so were we. They have worth; we showed them we thought so and they showed the world. Well I am off to teach my talent class but I will maybe blog more but if nothing so exciting happens I will see you tomorrow. :)
Well the day just got better so I am back with more. We did talent classes and the card making was a chaotic success, but the kids loved it and I loved seeing their faces. Their cards were so cute. Then dinner was probably the best yet. It was so scrumptious. :) But the best part of the day by far was helping the kids with their homework and getting ready for bed. I walked in and the girls called my name and as I helped them they were so excited to see me and have me test them. Two of the girls Eswari and Suvitha saw that I was struggling hard core with all the names of the twenty girls in my family and so they grabbed by hands and wrote all the names all over that palms and pointed out the girls and said, "this your homework" then they were teaching me tamil and as I called out all the names the girls all smiled and by the end I had a nickname "butterfly" and they were all hugging me and saying they loved me and goodnight. I didn't want to leave but it was bedtime so after many hugs, smiles, and pictures I left. Tonight was for sure my best night yet. Sorry this is so long. But I was just so happy that they are warming up to me and I just love them so much. The only bad part is the dreaded lice. A lot of the kids have lice and all of us are so afraid that we are going to get it but I have decided it is worth all the lice in the world to have them hug me and be close to me. So hopefully I won't come back with it but I don't think that I will.

1 comment:

  1. nice job Meg. looka like you are having the experiences you wanted to have, i stll want my own email from you though.
    love you Dad

    ReplyDelete