Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Blessing of Sickness

Hey everyone,

Last time I wrote on this I said I was a little sick. Well I get pretty bad for two days, and for that reason I am the only volunteer still hill at the "elephant house" while the others went up to New Delhi, touring the Taj Mahal, and such. I had a crazy fever, it was only 101, but I felt so sick. Since I never get sick due to my health obsessions, it was so wierd. I have been so cautious, and yet I still got something. A few people have been getting lick though. The amazing thing is when I first watched everyone leave at three thirty int he morning to drive to chennai, and catch their plane, all I could think of was that I was missing out on a party. Steel Hendershot, the only other LDS Melchizedek bearing priesthood member here, gave me a blessing the night before, and I was so sure that I would be fin by the time I woke up six hours later at three to go. But It did not happen. but as all trials seem to be I have found some amazing things within this one. So for this Blog I am just going to share a few quick enlightenments if you will.
1. Faith requires action. Of course I already knew this, but I am not sure I realized what all that might entail at times. I really had done nothing for this. I even had the thought to go get Katie (one of the councelors) to call Steel so he could come give me a blessing, but she had been sick too, and I did not want to bother her, so I didnt. About half an hour later Steel showed up on his own and offered a blessing. I almost started crying just realizing that Heavenly Father cared even though I did not act. Then I did not have to show much faith since I was expecting ot be fine six hours later. I have had that happen. On my mission I was really sick only once, and I had Elder Gowdy give me a blessing within an hour it was gone. But I got thinking about it, and as I was reading in the NEw testament, I realized all the people who had been healed straightway had had the infirmity for years sometimes. They did not just experience one day. They had been showing their faith for a while, by bearing with patience. Also many did great things like travel distances or washed his feet with their tears. So I suddenly became willing to wait for his timing. But I knew I had to do all Ic ould. so I started taking medicine.
2. Trust professional help and do all I can before the priesthood needs to step in.
By this I mean that I was expecting the blessing to just work, because it was the melchizedek priesthood, and it is the power of God on earth. But I rembered this talk in the Ensign a while ago, about how we need to use all that God has given us and then use a blessing after because we have been blessed with so much technology to help us. So I got Dr. Kumar, who luckily was on campus at the time, and he came over talked gave me some pills, and whala this morning my fever, and everything but the Diarhhea was gone. The runs are getting better meaning less frequent, which is good.
3. sometimes Heavenly Father sees what we need more than what we want.
I have not had sacrament in forever it seems like, becase last week my bus was way late getting to church, so we only heard the last two speakers. So I have an oppurtunity to go again tomorrow with a few people and hopefully be on time. I would say I need that strength to simply to be boosted up since I have been working so hard, and giving my all here, and I want to leave it all here, and just sleep the whole plane ride home cause I am so tired.

there it is then!! Some of the blessing that have come besides that is I have been able to spend time with the counselors, and with the kids. I helped decorate the star store today which was really fun, and I get to have the kids all to my self!!!! ;) Maybe I shouldnt be so selfish though!!
This really is an ALL or NOTHING experience, so if you ever get upset that I never get back to you on emails or facebook, it is just because I dont use them that often. I am trying to be HERE in the moment, and soak it all up!! It is amazing what happens to a heart when it is just serving, and how much one can love others by serving them, and just being there for them. I love the hugs every night because the kids hug with all they have. We have to ask as a rule, but I hardly ever have to ask, because they just come runnin to me and wrap themselves around my legs!!!! WOW I love it!!!

-Grif

No comments:

Post a Comment