Thursday, July 22, 2010

Crossing Borders -Megan

Wow Today was an amazing day. We woke up early and got on a bus for a 4 hour bus ride that ended up being more like 8 hours. The problem was that we were crossing to another state and gettting across the border proved to be quiet a challenge. They made us switch buses cause they needed a permit and it couldn't be private and then only 12 people were allowed per vehicle so some people walked across. It was crazy but so worth it. Then we got here where they don't speak english or tamil so neither us nor the drivers/ Dr. Kumar could talk to people. So we checked into the hotel, ate, and then were off to a new colony. This coloney Dr. Kumar has been to once but it has never had volunteers from RSO or America for that matter come so it was all new and so great. These people are isloated to the jungle but they were a large happy group. It surprised me that although RSO had never been there they were so willing to accept us and were so loving right off. We said hello and the women were so cute and garbbed my hands when I offered them and then blessed me. The love was automatic and then after introductions and we began the medical treatment line.
We took 10 at a time and did blood glucose, blood pressure, documentation/ pictures and then washing and bandaging. Then they went over to Dr. Kumar and got medications. I was on blood pressure and when I wasn't I went around and without words met poeple. We took pictures, smiled, held hands, blessed each other, and ususally exchanged names. I wish so badly I could speak to them but it is amazing what body language can do. We were able to interact and it was so wonderful. I feel like I say that alot but I dont have words for the feeling of joy I felt. The respect and love was mutual and so sweet. To show their appreciation they put flavors in our hair and kissed our hands.
Today I say conditions worse than previous colonies that we see often, but instead of the bad I focused on the good. Some might have only seen the large ulcers, and smelled the rotting flesh but if I had only seen that I would have missed the exchanges of love in the form of smiles, the little hand squeezes, or the tears of gratitude and humility, and the warm spirit. Everywhere I looked above the sores I saw the smiles, tears and love. It was wonderful to be a part of and at the end I said goodbye to each person still lingering including the children and then we got o nthe bus. they lined up and waved goodbye. These people started out as strangers this morning but turned into friends by night fall. They were so wonderufl and I am grateful for the chance I got to meet them, even though I will probably never see them again cause tommorrow is a new colony. They still made an impact on my life and are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment