Saturday, July 17, 2010

Heaven on Earth-Megan

Bindi Women and her husband.
Dominoes blower :)








Jaraj with this drum singing
Today I had the amazing privilege to go to a colony called Moot. It is a special one since there are only 7 people left in the colony but they are amazing. When we first got there we got out to go find them. We were greeted by a loud laugh as Jaraj came running up to us laughing and smiling and shooting out broken english to us. He was so happy and from what I have been told is always like that. As can be expected his laughter and smiles were cantagious and we all caught them. Then the next person I met was a women who did not have leprosy but came to the colony to take care of her husband which is unheard of since most people are outcast. To cast yourself out would be a great act of love. She was so cute and blessed me with pinch kisses and then pushed a bundi practically in my head since it didn't want to stay. She was so sweet though. Then they started to come out of their cement apartments and set up there bedding mats to play games. They are all pretty healthy and so we mostly played games with them. It was amazing to watch these people as they played Janga and dominos with mangled hands. They were really good with the few fingers they had and the man with no fingers was able to push the dominos that I set up and he loved that. We were all laughing and having so much fun and I can't even begin to explain the feeling there. I didn't know these people. I can't even pernounce their names and yet I love them and they love me. I have never felt like that before. To care so much for strangers. It was like they were family and it was so natural. It was the greatest feeling and truly heaven on earth. I loved as we banged tins and dominos and anything we could find to make a beat and sang songs and danced. Then we shared our cultures by singing our anthems to eachother and then we taught them snowman and the popcorn popping song. I have rarely been so happy. Then the saddest part was leaving. When it was time we said thank you and good bye and each one grabbed my hands and kissed them. The pinch kisses continued and then we loaded the bus. We waved the whole way and the last thing I saw was them waving and blowing kisses until we were completely out of sight. I was fighting back the tears cause I will probably never see these people again and yet the afternoon that we shared and the overwhelming love all around was life changing. I never want to forget that day.




No comments:

Post a Comment